The Ennis House was designed by world renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright. The house was built in 1924 and named after its owners Charles and Mabel Ennis. Wright’s motivation for the elaborate design established from Maya Puuc architecture seen at the Mayan site located in Uxmal, Mexico. The symmetrical style consists of a combination of simple rectangular stone blocks toward the bottom of the building and elaborate carved stones that decorate the top of the building. Wright created a custom pattern for the Ennis house which was the Greek key.
The six thousand square foot house was one of first houses built out of concrete. It was one of four built in Southern California and is known for its textile block style. Wright had used concrete in monumental projects but in the 1920s it was considered a new material. The stone blocks were combined with concrete, gravel, granite, and sand that was mixed with water and hand caste in aluminum molds. The blocks were 16 inches wide, 16 inches tall and 3.5 inches thick. From the beginning, Wright experienced structural problems such as using granite powder to color the concrete. The contamination of the granite collaborated with the air pollution causing the concrete to degrade. During the building process, concrete blocks also started to crack and walls collapsed. The amount of blocks made from Wright ranged from 27,000 to 40,000. The house is located in Los Feliz and owned by a private owner who is currently up keeping the home while preserving Wright’s legacy. Wright’s main designed goal was to have his homes occupied by people. His houses were considered not only works of art but to create space that becomes a creative force and uplifted when occupied the people living in it as well as visitors.