Clover Native Garden

clover before-afterS

I was at the site from 9 A.M. to around 5 P.M. We first viewed the plans and layout of the design to be implemented into the landscape. After reviewing the plans, we had to bring in the supplies and mark the areas with spray paint for modification; blue for the lower areas and orange for the mounds. Though we may have thought that it would be simple task at first, especially with how many volunteers that were participating that day. We began to suspect when we would actually finish when we made that first strike into the dirt with the shovel; it was as hard as the black top that we were standing on. We had to rotate, take turns, and rest every few minutes. We needed more than just shovels, we needed the pick axes; with the pick axes, the hardened dirt was easier to dent and pick apart, but still difficult. We were practically chipping away at it with whatever strength we could muster.

Around or close to noon, a few of the local children and their families showed up. The children helped with simple tasks while the parents supervised them. At that time, I thought that it was really a communal event. As children arrived, they seemed to be excited to participate and aid in the process of creating the garden for their school, doing whatever they were capable of to help.

When afternoon came around, we finally finished shoveling the mounds and digging the trenches; now we just had to modify them to make them seem more natural and step on them to mold them into place. Then we were shown the plans of what types of plants went where and began to place and dig holes. We were to dig a whole twice as wide but not too deep so that the crown would be above the ground level, fill the hole with water and let it soak in, then take the plant, dip it in liquid compost, put some regular compost into the hole, put the plant in, then fill the rest of the hole up with compost. After that, we staked and installed irrigation lines to almost every plant; we ran out of supplies. Then we used mulch to cover and hide the lines, making it 2 inched deep. By the end of the day, we made sure to used all of the materials and supplies that we could, but some resources were still left unused.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s